Saturday, June 16, 2012

Welcome to our Wonderful world of Much Ado...

And, away we go...

Performances are underway and tickets can be purchased online.  Now, you might also want to take a look at the early promo for the show, created by Anthony Chiles...






We opened to a raucously appreciative  Sold Out crowd last night!  Due to my extreme Bipolar and OCD perfectionism, I am rarely happy with the final product... but, last night's performance (with only one scene problem) surprised and pleased even me.

The cast was on point through out most of the show, and finally some of the long standing notes and directorial comments were put into play, so things smoothed out into a nice, neat and fun little performance package

I have to admit, this has been a hard production journey for me to complete.  I was faced with numerous challenges from the start --  most concerning company issues like a VERY small budget and some inadequate 'help' from one of the company provided personnel.  In fact, because of this and in an effort to save money, most of the set pieces have been 'borrowed' from MIDSUMMER (except for the... uhm... 'fountain')

Of course, we had one problematic actor (not even a principal), who caused complaint and concern from every corner of the cast, so replacing him rather than bowing to his ultimatums and failing attempts to direct my show from his perspective, was an easy choice. 


Also, coming directly from another (overlapping) show, having only 5 and a half weeks of formal work rehearsals -- all of which were plagued by numerous actor conflicts & absences -- and healing a broken foot, had to have something to do with why this journey was so exhaustive for me.

I have to admit, I wasn't sure if my vision and concept could be realized at the end of it all.  I don't think I have questioned or feared the outcome of a show since... well, since some of the nightmare shows with my own company, namely Sleeping Beauty, As You Like It and the evil Rabbit show we did at one point.  But, this one exhausted and stressed me.

I always KNOW it will be alright in the end, constantly tell my cast to trust me (and most of them truly do) and can see the final 'painting', but this show... Uhm, no.  One minute the vision was there, the next it was a little cloudy.

However, starting at rehearsal 2 weeks ago, something changed...  The cast seemed lighter emotionally, less inhibited, more relaxed and it all began to fall together one piece at a time.

Every rehearsal saw massive changes to tiny moments and sections.  Even my flow and artistic view was less stifled and much more receptive to the new ideas which were randomly popping into my head...

The cast is packed with actors, many who have never done Shakespeare before, a few who have a resume packed with it, some who have never worked with a demanding, perfectionist, detail oriented director like myself before, but all who appreciate the ensemble and protective bond they have created.  They are all truly an ensemble group, who work together as an unbreakable team.






Though, there are still a few sections and moments that could have benefited with another week of focused clean up, this piece of Shakespearian art has been 'painted'... with just a few little endearing quirks to make it 'special.'  And, for what my cast gave me last night, I shall always be grateful.

I have never faced so many administrative (and venue / technical) challenges on a show before, but with all the issues working in this space and with this company entails, I am delighted with what my cast and production team have  given me.  They have pulled something unique out of this show and have truly given us a sparkling little production.

Now for a little look at what happens in our world of Much Ado...

 Hero and Claudio, with Beatrice at the masked ball


The 'Schoolgirl' Watch take note of some villainy










 Beatrice and Benedick in the 'church' scene

 


Claudio gets a 'talking to' from Antonia and Leonata


Don Pedro examines Benedick, as he talks of his ills
 Hero and Claudio seal their devotion to each other











Principal Cast includes (Top to bottom) Juliet Howard-Welch as Beatrice, Josh Katawick as Benedick, Jared Mola as Claudio, Elizabeth Dillard as Hero and Tony Copper as Don Pedro.
 
                                                               

                                                                 

                                                           







Until next time...













No comments:

Post a Comment